In the Yiddish culture and history, the year 2018 is remarkable for:
- 70th anniversary of the tragic death of the outstanding theater and cinema figure, actor & director Solomon (Shloyme) Mikhoels, assassinated by Stalin's accomplices in Minsk (then USSR, now Belarus);
- 110th anniversary of the Czernowitz Conference, which recognized Yiddish as a language of the Jewish people;
- 50th anniversary of the publication of the English-Yiddish & Yiddish-English dictionary by Uriel Weinreich in New York - the first lexicographic publication reflecting the modern era of the Yiddish tongue development;
- 100th anniversary of the emergence of the young writers' association "Yung Yiddish" in Łódź, Poland;
- 100th anniversary of founding of the Yiddish newspaper "Der Emes" ("The Truth") in Moscow.